Monday, May 30, 2011

2011 Prime Minister's Literary Awards

The four shortlists have just been announced for the 2011 Prime Minister's Literary Awards. Of particular interest to me was the Young Adult Fiction shortlist - I see that Good Oil by Laura Buzo is on it; a book that I absolutely loved and was crushing on earlier in the year. You can read my review of it here: Good Oil. I feel like it might be an outside chance but I really do hope it wins. The rest of the shortlist is as follows:

Young Adult Fiction:

I have also just read the most gorgeous book: Past the Shallows, by Favel Parrett. My heart just shattered all over the place while I was reading it. I was initially attracted by it being set in Tasmania (I grew up there), on the rough and raw coast, but this book has so much more going for it then stunning scenery. It is the kind of book that just rips you apart, and my eyes were welling up reading about these two lonely little boys, Miles and Harry, and all that they've lost and continued to lose. If I had been reading it in the privacy of my own room, where I didn't have to worry about puffy mascara-ish panda eyes, I would have been sobbing all over my pillow. Do go and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment